4.05.2013

Welcome Home

 39 weeks (taken three days before little man was born)
here's the story:
It all started wednesday night, march 6th. Jason was at his basketball tournament and I decided to stay home since I wasn't feeling too great. I was having braxton hick contractions since I was 29 weeks pregnant and then later on in the pregnancy I just noticed more intense ones. This night though is when I started feeling pain every 6-7 minutes. I texted Jason and told him about my pain and called my mom to see if I was having contractions, and I was! But I was able to go about having a conversation and could still walk. We went to bed for the night and all night long I was having pain every 6 minutes. I decided that if I was still having pain in the morning that I would call our doctor to give him an update. The morning came and I was contracting every 5 minutes and the pain was lasting for a minute. I also lost my mucus plug, so I knew I should call my doctor. He wanted us to come in that morning so he could check to see where I was at. I was still having contractions every 5 minutes but it wasn't unbearable, so I decided to get ready and do my hair and makeup just in case our little peanut decided to come that day. After getting all ready we went to our doctors office. By that time while were waiting to see our doctor the pain was now every 4 minutes. We finally went back so I could get checked. I was over 90% effaced and over a centimeter dilated still contracting every 4 minutes. He couldn't tell for sure how dilated I was because our little guy was in the way! Jason took charge right away to update all of our family and our neighbors. My mom was going to be coming in on saturday because we had an induction day for monday the 11th. My mom found a flight for that same day and said she would update us. Our doctor gave us the orders to go walk around the track at the campus for a good 2-3 hours. If I noticed that my water broke or if I was contracting quicker, then we should go straight to the hospital - or if I noticed nothing progressing he wanted to make sure I wasn't experiencing false labor. We listened to our doctors orders and headed to the track. Before walking though we wanted to get lunch cause we were starving! We went to the cafeteria at the campus and got our lunch (note I was still having contractions but tried to keep walking through the pain). We sat down at the CrossRoads and ate our food. We ran into one of our good friends and started chatting, halfway through our conversation my water broke!!! It was crazy because we didn't have time to clean it up so we joked saying that I left me mark at that cafeteria forever! But, I wasn't even done eating my food yet. Plus, I had laundry waiting for us back at our apartment I wanted to do (which our amazing neighbor Chelsea ended up doing later on I found out, thank you again!), along with some other tasks I was hoping to complete that day. I was not planning on having a baby but that was not the case at all, he was definitely ready to come! Our friend Cory that we were with went and got our car for us so I wouldn't have to make the long trek while contracting. He was very sweet to help!
So naturally we headed straight to the hospital! We got there and the contractions were making it harder for me to walk. There was no wheelchair around. And Jason was trying so hard to find me one but everyone we asked just looked around the hall giving us a blank stare so I had to walk all the way to the labor and delivery unit while contracting, boy did the pain hurt, and I remember tearing up because of the pain. Not fun at all. Why were there no wheel chairs! Finally we got to our room and I changed into the gown, they hooked me up to the monitor to track the baby's heart and the contractions. I was now 5 centimeters dilated.  
We did not have anything with us, so I wrote out a list for Jason to pack up for us both. I had our baby's bag packed for a long time just nothing for us. While making the list I would have to stop talking cause the pain was getting a lot more intense. Jason did such a good job in calming me down and reacted just the way that I needed. It truly was the biggest blessing. He just took charge and acted, it was quite interesting to watch because I had never seen this side of him before! He left to get our stuff back at home and the contractions were even more unbearable by this point. I asked my nurse to get me a birthing ball to get through the contractions. There was just no way I wanted to be in bed anymore at this point. I loved that ball, it was my best friend while Jason wasn't by my side. The nurse told me that when my husband returned, I would be able to get an epidural. So I made sure to get through the pain until then. Jason came back, I was dilated to a 6, I got the epidural, and it wasn't bad at all. I thought it would hurt really bad but it didn't. The anesthesiologist did a wonderful job at inserting it properly and talking me through everything he was doing so I wouldn't be unaware of the procedure. I loved that. Now I was pain free and enjoying life! Jason went to have lunch with his brother, and I took a nap. Our doctor came to check me at 6 pm and I was dilated to a 9. But the problem was that he was still up high and we would just have to wait for him to come down on his own. He told us to plan on pushing at 8 pm. Eight pm came and our doctor had an emergency Csection come up unexpectedly and reassured us that everything will be alright and that at 9pm we would get the show on the road. Jason and I just hung out watched some movies and took it easy, enjoying those last moments we still had together as a couple before our third family member was born. Our doctor came back after he finished the procedure and asked if a student EMT could sit in on the delivery, since they are required to watch so many deliveries. I agreed and figured why not, plus I didn't even realize he was in the room so it didn't bother me at all. Now things were finally getting started because I was fully dilated and his head was like right there! Our doctor said that it was now time to start pushing! But he also said that most first time moms will end up pushing for two hours. I started pushing naturally while Jason and the nurse held my legs. I was also getting coached from my nurse and doctor so I could push properly. I was a pro and after 20 minutes of pushing our sweet little bundle was born, it was unreal and we couldn't believe it! It happened so fast. My doctor then said: "You made that look so easy, you should have another one now!!!" He thought he was pretty funny after saying that and wanted to deliver another one from me because how smooth it all went, plus he liked that I wasn't whiny giny (most women are like that so he appreciated my attitude) :) But it really was an easy breezy labor and delivery, no complications and I had a great doctor and nurses. I was in good hands that's for sure. 
After all the tests that were done on our baby, there was one in particular that was done on him which showed his gestation date to be two weeks. I was two weeks overdue, what!!!? I had no idea he was cookin in there longer but he was. And he was definitely ready to be born that day!

Connor Thomas Dimond joined our family on March 7th at 9:46 pm
he was 8 pounds 3 oz (how I carried that big of a baby, I do not know!)
he measured 19.5 inches long   
purely perfect
and all ours to love :)

Now here are some pictures:






 my mom was able to make it all the way to Idaho just 3 three hours after he was born it was so special!




















he was a big boy that's for sure!



celebratory dinner and Jamba Juice! my mom was able to call them to have them deliver it to the hospital. it was seriously the one thing that I really really wanted after having Connor! it was so sweet!

 we love our Connor so much
everyday we are enjoying being a family of three :)

2 comments:

  1. Love this Elizabeth! It makes me so so happy for you guys. He is completely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love all the pictures!! He is so adorable :)

    ReplyDelete