7.07.2012

On the Island of Maui we...


 had fun anticipating what our trip had in store for us while on the plane

 saw an amazing view from our plane windows of the island, Maui


 stayed at a beautiful resort
 with wonderful pools and hot tubs 
 and had fun in this waterfall!
we walked along the beach

and could see spectacular sunsets from our hotel room every night


we went surfing and took lessons (that way I wouldn't have major injuries)









found out that Jason is actually good at surfing, we just don't have a picture of it!
swallowed a mouthful of the ocean, it was pretty yummy, hence the look on my face.
this was also my first encounter with salt water ever in my life. it was great once I got used to it!
 drank this fruity Aloha juice it is 100% delicious



 explored the beautiful town of Lahaina with his family and saw all of it's lovely shops, restaurants, and art gallery's! those were Jason's favorite just like me ;)


 ate at Bubba Gump's and had some more good food
(note: we each ate a lot of food our whole trip)

 and sat underneath this WI licensee plate, what are the chances of that!



 went to the Aquarium and saw lots and lots of fish. . .

jellyfish. . .
 and a sting ray
 the whole time I couldn't help but think of Finding Nemo haha! love that movie!
 then we played some mini golf and this was our score card
us at the Maui Aquarium 
freezed in Hawaii, yes it is actually possible, especially early in the morning on the highest peak! 
i did not bring the proper attire and Jason did. but instead he decided to freeze with me what a sweet guy =)
all of us woke up at 2am to make it in time to watch the sunrise at approximately 5:41am on Haleakala 
it was totally worth it!


 it was quite the sight to behold, and just magnificent in its own way. 
normally I'm such a sucker for sunsets so it was worth the whole experience for me!


 went to my first ever Luau!




 they welcomed us with (virgin) Mai Tai's and authentic Hawaiian beads (or lai's)



took some photos of all of us along the beach!

Jason found our new hut to live in
just in case we ever decide to live in Maui one day =)
had fun looking at the pretty ocean



I learned that this flower is called a Ginger Torch 
it has this name because as it blossoms it will grow in the shape of a "torch"
the flowers in Hawaii were so unique and saw many of these all over the Island!
enjoyed many Pina Coladas (virgin of course!)
and a Chi Chi (pictured above) 
it is the exact same thing as a pina colada
unless you order the alcoholic version then it is served with rum i guess. 
so it didn't matter for any of us, but we all did get a good laugh once we looked at our drink menu to find the 'virgin version' is the exact same for a pina colada and a chi chi!! they even taste the same who knew that could be possible, so now we do!  
Jason was in heaven with all of the seafood he could eat
and this was his octopus meal, doesn't it look yummy!
I stuck with some other foods 
delicious fruits and veggies, glazed hawaiian chicken, and Poi
I learned there are many different versions of Poi, this is the sweet potato kind. it grows in the ground, it's purple and tastes exactly like a sweet potato too! Poi is also one of the biggest staple foods that the Islanders use in lots of their dishes. There are poi rolls, poi sauce, and many other versions, but this was the kind I ended up trying. I have to say it was actually good, and it's purple, so that was a plus!
next up the hula dancers began their performance
it was so much fun watching them hula! they also get such a good workout from it, if only I could hula dance like that, or at all for that matter!
this was unlike anything I had ever been to before! I absolutely loved it! but the best part of the whole performance was when they invited all couples to down to the dance floor to share a romantic dance with the one they love =) it was such a special moment that I will cherish and remember most about our trip to Maui. Jason was such a gentlemen to ask me to dance, because secretly I was hoping he would! 
and we watched the sunset while enjoying the hula dancers preform. there is something so captivating about sunsets, and they way in which they change in just a matter of moments. it's as if you should never take your eyes off so you don't miss one second of it! life is the same. sometimes all we have is just that one moment and those memories we have should never be forgotten or taken for granted! 


there are still more pictures to come so stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment